During difficult times, we are known to shine thanks to our wonderful community of students, parents, teachers and staff. The flexibility, strength and wisdom of our entire community spearhead the ship we sail, sturdy enough to withstand any currents!
The global pandemic has led us to keep our distance, but it will not keep us apart! We must embrace this as a great opportunity to try new avenues for learning and enrich our digital knowledge while discovering new tools.
A SNAPSHOT OF SAFETY GUIDELINES FOR 2020-2021
Summary of COVID-19 Guidelines
Dear HSES Parents,
We hope our students are enjoying the summer and your family is safe during this heat and pandemic.
As we continue to navigate this uncertainty, we understand that our families have many questions about returning to school for the new year. What will this look like? How will HSES manage my child’s education in a safe and healthy environment?
The COVID-19 Task Force has worked non-stop to develop a rigorous plan, aligned with The Texas Education Agency (TEA) guidance for schools to strategically reopen that was recently released. Subject matter experts in the legal and medical field also collaborated in this effort for HSES to offer in-person instruction in the most efficient and safest way possible.
Although the detailed plan will be ready by the end of July, we want to share a summary of the guidelines so far. Because the situation continues to shift, these guidelines are subject to change if state or local officials impose new mandates. We encourage families to review the measures identified to maintain a healthy academic environment.
Our goal is to offer in-person instruction to the greatest extent possible. However; in the event of a school closure, we are prepared to transition to remote learning and accommodate each division based on their developmental needs. Early Childhood and Primary School – now in the process to also become licensed through state child care – will remain open if child care is considered an essential service.
Early Childhood reopened its doors Monday, June 1 with strict protocols to avoid risks for Camp Little Saints. Kidventure implemented the same protocols during summer camp at HSES, allowing to provide an engaging yet safe summer with minimal exposure.
We continue to monitor health and government officials as the situation evolves and will notify you of any changes or adjustments as information is released. We look forward to the day we can welcome back our students and regain the face-to-face connection, which we pray continues as Wednesday, Aug. 19.
FUN LEARNING IN THE SUMMER
Student Account Maintenance
The technology team will temporarily disable student Google accounts for maintenance this summer as we prepare for the next school year. Students will not have access to Google Classrooms or Gmail during this period. After maintenance, the accounts will be reactivated to reflect updates and new tools if applicable. This will not affect:
* Student accounts.
* Stored files or information.
* Virtual resources with separate login credentials
DREAMBOX MATH ENRICHMENT
We are excited to introduce DreamBox as the new Math platform for Kinder through 8th grade! Students will receive their login credentials so they can build their math skills over the summer with this new interactive software. DreamBox (that replaces IXL) offers 24/7 online access and:
- Adapts to the individual learner with continuous formative assessment lessons.
- Personalizes instruction to meet the needs of students at all levels, from struggling to advanced.
- Develops skills and closes gaps through continuous support of conceptual understanding, fluency, reasoning and problem-solving.
- Analyzes student answers and how they solve problems to provide insight.
- Integrates with HSES math curriculum, aligning with Bridges for K-4 and Eureka for 5-6.
- Ties to regional and state Math standards.
- Builds foundational skills, integrating assessments with instruction to ensure students understand concepts before moving to the next lesson.
- Provides data for teachers and administrators to determine instruction, monitor growth and ensure strong implementation.
- Offers research-based Math, proven to increase student achievement.
MS. DAY'S ART CLOSET
The creative and beloved Ms. Day will continue to offer her fun art lessons over the summer. The art channel will include a variety of activities for all ages to enjoy, from little ones to teenagers. Have fun creating!
GRADUATION VIRTUAL CEREMONY
You are cordially invited to the Eighth Grade Commencement
and Middle School Awards Ceremony. Watch the live ceremony!
It is important to maintain the same standard during distance learning that is aligned to the expectations of campus instruction. Students should:
- Dress in appropriate attire (uniform is not required) when participating in Zoom or group conferences.
- Interact with teachers and peer in a kind and respectful manner.
- Remain on topic in class discussions, Google Classroom and Zoom.
- Report concerns to their teacher through the proper channels.
- Know that inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated and subject to consequences.
- Agree to adhere to the standards.
- Abide by the Code of Conduct.
Practice awareness with Dr. Beth Reese by intentionally paying attention to internal and external factors, without judgment and in the present. Learn to find your energy levels, sensations and emotions in your body and mind, including thoughts, emotions, moods, and memories. Join us for this fun Mindfulness session with Dr. Reese and Mrs. Symonds.
Campus may be closed amid COVID-19, but the learning still continues. Faculty and staff wish these cybernetic learners good luck on their first day of remote classes. #HSESstrong
While we operate remotely, email is the best form of communication. Who to contact?
CODE OF CONDUCT
Just as students follow the tenets of learning at school as highlighted in the Social Contract, they are also expected to follow a Code of Conduct during remote learning. We recommend that parents review these guidelines with their children to establish expectations as they embark on their online learning journey.