Welcome to Our School
As Head of School, I greet you with great pleasure and welcome you to our warm and inclusive community of Saints. As you consider and explore HSES, you will discover that our mission, combined with research and best practices, drive our decisions for achieving excellence. “Holy Spirit Episcopal School offers an exemplary education for infants through grade eight that develops the whole child while achieving academic excellence in a dynamic, Christian-based environment.”
During this time of uncertainty, HSES is moving forward with plans to safely reopen our campus. Both Early Childhood and Kidventure Summer Camp will be available to families beginning June 1. We plan to resume on-campus learning in August, with protocols in place based on the guidance of local and state public health authorities.
Our COVID-19 Task Force meets weekly to document our plans and protocols. Our first priority is safety; the health of our faculty, staff, and students guides every decision we make. Our second priority is to remain open to the greatest extent possible. We offer an integrated approach to technology as part of the campus experience so that we can seamlessly utilize remote learning should it be needed.
The pandemic has changed our social behaviors in ways that will likely continue into the next school year. Just as our day-to-day life has changed, our campus life will be different as well. We are looking at a variety of strategies that safeguard our community while allowing HSES to deliver the world-class education that our students and families know and appreciate. Examples of practices under discussion include:
- Screening health and temperature of faculty and student on a daily basis, including exclusion and re-entry protocols.
- Incorporating personal protective equipment for faculty and staff.
- Increasing specialized training and sanitation for custodial staff.
- Individualizing and frequent sanitation of student materials and supplies.
- Offering boxed lunches and individual snacks.
- Providing constant access to hand washing and hand-sanitizing stations.
- Placing individual student desks 6 feet apart for LS and MS.
- Optimizing social distancing by monitoring and/or reducing class size and mixing of classes in every division.
- Implementing one-to-one devices for LS and MS students, blending synchronous and asynchronous learning while on campus.
- Eliminating school visitors, field trips, group events and social gatherings during times of high risk.
The summer months will bring new information and our policies will likely evolve as more guidance is given to schools. We are prepared to follow CDC guidelines and relax restrictions as the situation hopefully improves, as well as increase restrictions if warranted.
There will be inconveniences that come with these new procedures, but they are necessary to protect our students and community. However, we have the benefit of smaller class sizes and the ability to spread out within our campus, a great advantage as we navigate the challenges of social distancing.
At Holy Spirit Episcopal School, #HSESstrong is more than a saying, it’s how we demonstrate resilience in the face of challenges while loving one another. This is what truly defines us as a community. If you are new to HSES, we hope you’ll join us for a virtual tour. We look forward to meeting you soon!
Michelle Symonds, Head of School
NOTICE OF NON-DISCRIMINATION
HSES admits students of any race, creed, color, national and ethnic origin to all rights, privileges, programs, and activities generally accorded, or made available to students at the school. The school does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, national or ethnic origin in the administration of educational or admission policies, scholarship programs, athletics or any other school-administered programs.